Monday, August 13, 2012

Assignment 1 - Self Portrait

Greetings!
Had my 1st class of Principles of Design and we got introduced to some elements of design, visual aesthetics and art movements that we never knew. Besides, after the introduction to principles of design, my lecturer, Ms Lisa, gave us an in-class activity, our 1st assignment - Self Portrait.

Students had to design a self portrait based on an art movement that best represents us.
  • The requirements are: A3 size (Minimum)
  • Use elements from nature (it wasn't stated "ONLY" hehe)
  • Use "trash" or free things
  • Use COLLAGE / DRAWING / TRACING / GLUING etc as methods (Minimum of 2 methods) Methods I used: Drawing and Collage (which already requires gluing)
  • Return in 1 hour 15 minutes to present in class - Ask and answer all questions for your presentation

ASSIGNMENT:
  • Finish up self portrait and photograph it.
  • 200 word essay based on artwork and class presentation is needed to be written in the blog
  • Upload self portrait photo to blog and link blog to the main blog

About my artwork, self portrait, it is something that represents me. Firstly, I'd like to talk about the methods and steps of making this Self Portrait of mine. This representation is presented using 2 A4 sizes of yellow notes paper combined, that make an A3 size, (actually torn them from my A4 notebook since we were encouraged to use materials that are free of charge), drawing with all kinds of art medias such as sky-blue paint marker, red ink pen, pencil and sharpies. For the 2nd method, it'll be collage. Gluing is required in collage therefore, I bought a Harper Bazaar's magazine to cut out pictures inside then glue them according to the flow of aestheticism. I wouldn't say the purpose of buying the mag was completely for this task, I do collage too during my free time and also, I make full use of magazines by cutting pictures, pasting them in other future assignments as well. As far as collage was mentioned, elements of nature definitely cannot be excluded from free things therefore, as you can see, fresh green leaves are cut and glued to meet the requirements.

Before pasting the cutout pictures, I filled the yellow lined paper with blue paint marker, making a more interesting background, also complementing the yellow. After that, my next grab will be the pencil, drawing part of a face being splashed by a quality filled Taylor's bucket. Yes, Taylor's. Because I'm enrolled to this prestigious university that has all to create a successful me with a design related career. Below the bucket, you can see a figure gripping a pen. The reason, I'm interested in learning more of Figure Drawing. All these mentioned are drawn onto a white page of my journal.. After cutting out from the page, I pasted it on the top right of the paper. I then drew a row of bind 'connecting' the torn-out white paper, using a black sharpie.So it'll look like a book, means there are more than just the goodness of the front page.


Furthermore, as  you can see the leaves are being cut and pasted this way. The pictures that I pasted are the things that I'm interested in such as, dancing, music, art, landscape photography.

I do like flowers, colors, traveling, fashion, scenery as well. The other decorations and patterns are aesthetic purposes, especially the leaves, it makes this self portrait have a very environmental friendly feel. My presentation went well, I didn't receive many questions though. I enjoyed doing this assignment and this will be a good start for Principles of Design.
The whole artwork looks like this:
Thanks for reading, have a nice day.
-Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment